Gazetteer page 10
Plumstead (by Holt). - A parish 4 m. S.E. from Holt station.
Plumstead, Great. - A village 2½ m. E. from Whittlingham junction.
Plumstead, Little. - A village 2½ m. S. from Salhouse station.
Poringland, Great and Little. - United parishes 4^ m. S.E. from Norwich. The church, which has a round tower with an octagonal belfry, has some fine old (restored) oak benches with poppy heads.
Postwick. - A village on the Yare, 2 m. E. from Whitlingham junction. The church, an ancient building, contains a mural brass and memorial window to Archibald, fourth Earl of Rosebery, who died in 1868. The present Earl of Rosebery is lord of the manor.
POTTER HEIGH AM. - A Broadland village, with a station, n m. N.W. from Yarmouth and 15 m. N.E. from Norwich. This is a well-known angling resort, the river Thurne, Hickling Broad, and Heigham Sounds being easily accessible from the village. Hick- ling Broad is open for sailing and rowing, but a charge of a shilling a day is made to anglers. Boats may be hired at the Pleasure Boat Inn at Hickling and at Potter Heigham. There is some accommodation for visitors in the village.
Pudding Norton. - A small parish 1½ m. S. from Fakenham. The church is in ruins.
Pulham St Mary Magdalen (called Pulham Market). - a large village, with a station, 4 m. N. by W. from Harleston. The Hall was formerly the residence of a younger branch of the Percies, Earls of Northumberland.
Pulham St Mary the Virgin - A village, with a station, 3 m. N.W. from Harleston. The exterior of the church is ornamented with some curious carved figures. Some of the windows contain old glass, one dating from 1380 and another, called the Apostles' window, from 1420. The ancient chancel screen has been restored.
Quarles. - A parish adjoining Holkham, 4 m. S.W. from Wells.
Quidenham. - A village 1½ m. S. from Eccles Road station. The church has a Norman south porch, and in the vestry wall are three pillars which probably formed part of a Saxon font. There are several memorials here to the Keppels, Earls of Albermarle, whose seat is Quidenham Hall, a fine modern house standing in a well-wooded park. In the midst of a grove of firs in the park is a barrow. There is also a mere about 7 acres in extent which affords good fishing.
Rackheath. - A village 2 m. W. from Salhouse station.
Ranworth. - A Broadland parish 5 m. E. from Salhouse station. The church contains one of the first rood screens in the county. Ranworth Broad, about 90 acres in extent, is connected with the Bure.
Raveningham. - A scattered village 4 m. N.E. from Beccles. The church, which stands in Raveningham Park, contains eight canopied memorials to the Bacon family.
Raynham, East. - A village 1½ m. S. from Raynham Park station and 4 m. S.W. by S. from Fakenham. The church, re-built by the Marquis Townshend, has, in the tower, a stained glass window, presented by the late Sir Arthur Phayre. In the north aisle is a small brass, with effigy in academical robes, to Robert Godfrey, LL. B., who died in 1522, and another to George, son of Roger Townshend. The Hall, the seat of the Marquesses of Towns-hend, was built about 1630 for Sir Roger Townshend from designs by Inigo Jones, and occupies the site of an earlier moated hall. It was altered and enlarged by Viscount Townshend, who was Secretary of State under George I., and who married Dorothy Walpole, sister of Sir Robert Walpole. The ghost of this lady, " The Brown Lady of Raynham," was believed to haunt the grand staircase of the hall, and also that of her earlier home, Houghton Hall, where George IV., when Prince Regent, was said to have been so frightened by her supernatural appearance that he shortened his stay in the house. The hall contains some very fine pictures, including the famous "Belisarius" of Salvator Rosa, presented to Charles, the second Viscount Townshend, by Frederick the Great of Prussia, and valued at £10,000. Here are also portraits by Vandyck, Kneller, Sir J. Reynolds, Lely, and Wilkie. The park is some 1200 acres in extent, and contains a sheet of water nearly two miles long.
Raynham, South. - A scattered village 2 m. S. from Raynham Park station.
Raynham, West. - A parish 2 m. S. from Raynham Park station. The church is in ruins.
Redenhall. - See Harleston.
REEDHAM. - A Broadland village, on the Yare, with a station 8 m. S.W. by W. from Yarmouth. The church contains a tomb, with kneeling effigies, to Henry Berney, who died n 1584. Reedham Hall occupies the site of an earlier building, some portions of which are incorporated in it. This place is said to have been a seat of the East Anglian kings, and a local tradition asserts that it was here Ragnar Lodbrock was murdered. Lodbrock was a Danish chief, who one day '' while hawking for birds among the islands on the coast of Denmark, was surprised by a sudden storm, driven across the North Sea, and found himself at the mouth of the Yare, which he entered, and landed at Reedham, where the court of Edmund, King of the East Angles, was at that time held. He was received into royal favour, and in hunting was frequently attended by the king's huntsman Bern, whom he soon excelled in his own profession. Bern became jealous, and at length murdered Lodbrock in the woods; but the murder came to light through the affection of Lodbrock's dog, who searched the woods till he found his dead master buried under a heap of brushwood and leaves. The baying of the hound attracted attention, and the scared look and craven manner of the king's huntsman betrayed his guilt. Bern was tried, and condemned to be cast away in a boat. Strangely enough, he drifted to the coast of Denmark, where, being tortured on the rack, to learn what he knew of Lodbrock's death, he concealed his own guilt, and attributed the assassination to King Edmund. The consequence was that 20,000 Danes, under the leadership of Hinguar and Hubba, Lodbrock's two sons, invaded East Anglia, burned and slaughtered indiscriminately as they went, overcame Edmund, took him prisoner, and, after a mock trial, beheaded him." - The Land of the Broad.
Wherry yachts, yachts, and boats may be hired here, and there is accommodation for visitors at the Eagle Tavern and Railway Hotel.
Reepham. - A large village with a station, 12 m. N.W. from Norwich. The church contains some good brasses, and an altar tomb, with a fine cross-legged effigy to Sir Roger de Herdeston, who died in 1337. Inn: King's Arms.
Repps-cum-Bastwick. - A small village near Hickling Broad, and m. S.W. from Potter Heigham station.
Reymerston. - A village 1½ m. S.W. from Thuxton station. The east window of the church contains some fine Flemish glass, and the communion rails are also Flemish work.
Riddlesworth. - A parish on the Little Ouse, 5 m. S. from Harling Road station.
Ridlington. - A parish 3½ m. N. by E. from Honing station. Figures of the four evangelists serve as pinnacles to the church tower.
Ringland. - A parish on the Wensum, 2½ m. S. from Attlebridge station. The church, a fine Gothic building, has an elaborately groined nave roof, springing from sixteen shafts supported by carved heads.
Ringstead, Barret. - A decayed parish 2 m. S. from Hunstanton.
Ringstead, Great. - A village, formerly consisting of two parishes, 2 m. from Hunstanton. The Church of St Andrew is an ancient building in the Decorated style. Of the Church of St Peter all that remains is a circular Norman tower.
Rockland All Saints and Rockland St Andrew. - These are united parishes 4½ m. W. from Attleborough. All Saints Church nave is a fine example of Saxon, herringbone and ashlar work. The church contains a cable-stitch tombstone, believed to be the oldest in the country. St Andrew's Church is in ruins.
Rockland St Mary. - a scattered village 6 m. S.E. from Norwich. The church is an ancient flint building in the Gothic style. A few feet east of it are the ruins of the church of Rockland St Margaret, or Little Rockland. Rockland Broad (about 100 acres) adjoins this parish and the Yare.
Rockland St Peter. - a village 4½ m. W. by N. from Attleborough. The church is an ancient flint building with a round tower.
Rollesby. - A village 1½ m. S.W. from Martham station. The church, an ancient building in the Early English style, has a tower partly Norman, and contains a fine altar-tomb, with recumbent effigy, to Rose Claxton, who died in 1601; also a mural monument, with fourteen kneeling figures, to Leonard Mapes, who died in 1619. Rollesby Broad is connected with Filby and Ormesby Broads, the three extending over 600 acres. These broads are well-known to anglers. Boats may be hired at the Eel's Foot and King's Head inns, Ormesby. There is accommodation for visitors at the Horse and Groom Inn, Rollesby.
Roudham. - A parish if 1 3/4 m. E. from Roudham junction. The church was destroyed by fire, but some parts of its ruins remain.
Rougham. - A village 4 m. S.E. from Massingham station. The church contains several monuments and brasses to the Yelverton family. Over the west doorway is a carving of the Crucifixion.
Roughton. - A village 3 m. N.W. from Gunton station. The church, a flint building in the Norman style, has a round tower, and on the north side of the chancel are traces of either a vestry or chantry chapel.
Roxham. - a parish 2 m. S.E. from Downham.
Roydon (near Diss). - A village 1½ m. W. from Diss station. The church contains some monuments to the Frere family, and its south porch was built in memory of Temple Frere, who was drowned at Cambridge while attempting to save the life of a fellow student. The Hall is the seat of the Freres, a very ancient Norfolk family whose most distinguished representative was Sir Bar tie Frere, Bart.
Roydon (near Lynn). - A village 6 m. E.N.E. from Lynn. The church has two Norman doorways.
Rudham, East. - A village with a station, 7 m. W. from Fakenham. There are some remains here of Coxford or Cokesford Abbey, founded in the twelfth century.
Rudham, West. - A village 2½ m. S.W. from East Rudham station.
Runcton, North. - A village 2 m. S.W. from Middleton station. The parish contains the hamlet of Hardwick.
Runcton, South. - A village 4 m. N. by W. from Downham. The church contains a fine Norman arch.
Runhall. - A scattered parish 1 m. N. from Hardingham station. The church is partly in ruins.
Runham. - a parish on the Bure, 3 m. S.W. from Ormesby station. The church is an ancient building in the Early English style. A ferry which here crosses the Bure is called Runham Swim.
Runton, East and West form a village on the coast with a station at West Runton, 2 m. W. from Cromer. In this village, which lies between Cromer and Sheringham, accommodation for visitors is fast increasing. A "gap" in the cliffs here is a favourite subject with artists. The church, recently restored, is a fine old building in the Decorated style containing some old poppy-headed seats.
Rushall, - a small village 2 m. S. from Pulham St Mary station. The church has the stairs leading to the rood loft intact, and contains two interesting lancet windows. The Hall, now a farmhouse, is surrounded by a moat.
Rushford. - A parish on the Little Ouse, 4 m. S.E, from Thetford. The church was formerly attached to the college of St John the Evangelist, dissolved in 1541, of which there are some interesting ruins. At Shadwell, a hamlet 1½ m. S.E. from Rushford, is Shad well Court, a modern house in the Domestic Gothic style. The hamlet takes its name from "St Chadd's Well," a spring formerly much frequented by pilgrims.
Ruston, East, - A scattered village 3 m. N. from Stalham station. On the panels of the church chancel screens are paintings of St Gregory, St Ambrose, St Augustine, and St Jerome. Richard Porson, who became Professor of Greek at Cambridge University, was born here in 1759, his father then being parish clerk.
Ruston, South. - A parish m. N. from Coltishall station.
Ryburgh, Great. - A village on the Wensum, with a station, 4 m. S.E. from Fakenham. The church contains some good Norman arcading. Its tower is believed to be Saxon.
Ryburgh, Little. - A parish near Ryburgh station. The church is in ruins.
Ryston. - A parish with a station 3/4 m. N., in the parish of Fordham. The church, a small Early English building, has a roof 500 years old, discovered in 1868 when the plaster ceiling of the chancel was removed. Two " leper's" windows, an aumbrey, and a very fine piscina were discovered at the same time. There are several monuments here to the Pratt family, including one with a white marble effigy to Anne, wife of Sir Roger Pratt, who died in 1707. Near Ryston Hall is Kett's Oak, or the " Oak of Reformation," under which Robert Kett, the Norfolk rebel leader, held his court in 1549.
Saham Toney. - A village 2 m. N.W. from Watton station. The church is a fine Perpendicular building, with a parvise over the south porch and a fine oak screen. The font has a carved oak cover, dated 1632, and surmounted by a pelican in her piety. Some of the benches date from the sixteenth century and are poppy-headed. Here is a mere of about 13 acres, in which, it is said, eels of a peculiar kind are caught.
Salhouse. - A village on the Bure, with a station 1 m. to the westward. The church is chiefly Early English and has a detached embattled tower. It contains an old hour-glass stand, a sanctus bell, a crusader's tomb, and two ancient stone coffins. The Hall, a fine castellated Elizabethan house, contains some good pictures and other works of art.
Salle. - A village 1½ m. N. from Reepham station. The church stands on high ground, and is one of the finest Perpendicular buildings in the county. At one time it possessed five altars, raised on a stone platform still to be seen. Part of the screen remains, but its figures are nearly obliterated. The font cover is suspended by a beam projecting from the gallery. The church contains some interesting brasses, including a small one (date 1440), to Galfridus Boleyne and his wife, who were ancestors of Anne Boleyn. Other brasses are dated 1415, 1441, 1453, 1482, 1483, 1486, 1500, 1504, 1505, and 1532. There is a tradition that Anne Boleyn's body was removed from the Tower and buried in this church, and a black marble slab was formerly pointed out as marking her grave. A good view of the surrounding county may be obtained from the top of the church tower, and also from that of the neighbouring church of Cawston, another grand Perpendicular building of great interest to antiquaries.
<<< Previous page <<<
>>> Next page >>>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 <10> 11 12 13 14 15 16