Gazetteer page 13
Tibenham. - A village 2 m. W. from Tivetshall junction. The church has an embattled tower, with emblems of the Evangelists as pinnacles. It contains a Jacobean pulpit and a pew, erected by faculty granted by Archbishop Laud for the use of the Buxton family, to whom there are several brasses in an eastern chapel dedicated to St Nicholas.
Tilney All Saints. - A village 1 m. from Clenchwarton station, and 1½ m. S.W. from Terrington station. The church is a fine Transition Norman building, with a Perpendicular clerestory and double hammer-beam roof adorned with figures. It contains Perpendicular and Jacobean screens, and a late Perpendicular font; also a grave slab said to be a memorial to the giant Hickathrift, a somewhat mythical personage who, according to tradition, armed himself with a cart axle-tree, and with a wheel for a buckler put to flight a body of invaders who attempted to gain possession of Tilney Smeeth, a tract of common land upon which the inhabitants of the district kept their sheep.
Tilney St Lawrence. - A village 3 m. S. from Terrington station.
Titchwell. - A village on the coast road from Lynn to Wells, 5½ m. W. by N. from Burnham Market station. At the east end of the village is the shaft of a wayside cross.
Tittleshall-cum-Godwick. - A village 5 m. N. from Dunham station. The church contains some fine monuments to the Coke family, including one with a life-size effigy to Sir Edward Coke, Lord Chief Justice of the King's Bench, who died in 1634; another to his wife with effigies of herself and eight children; and a handsome monument to Sir Thomas Coke of Holkham, first Earl of Leicester of the Coke family, who died in 1759. The Hall, now a farmhouse, was built by Sir Edward Coke, who presided over the trial of Sir Walter Rayleigh, and who was the great authority of his day on English law.
Tivetshall St Margaret's. - A village, with junction station, 5½ m. N.N.E. from Diss. The church nave has a carved oak roof, and is separated from the chancel by an Elizabethan screen.
Tivetshall St Mary. - A village 1½ m. from Tivetshall station.
Toft Monks. - A village 1½ m. from Aldeby station. The church plate includes a silver chalice dated 1567.
Toft, West. - A village 5 m. N.E. from Brandon station. The church contains two finely carved screens.
Toftrees. - A parish 2 m. S.W. from Fakenham. The church contains an interesting Norman font.
Topcroft. - A scattered village 6 m. N.W. from Bungay station.
Tottenhill. - A village 2 m. E. from Magdalen Road junction. Westbriggs is a hamlet included in this parish, because its old church is now Tottenhill parish church.
Tottington. - A village 3½ m. E. from Stow Bedon station. The church nave is seated throughout with old oak benches, and the windows are remarkable for their tracery. An old stone bearing the Mortimer arms has been placed on the wall of the south aisle. Here, too, is an ancient carved screen, and a good brass dated 1598.
Trimingham. - A small coast village, 3 m. N.E. from Gunton station, 5 m. S.E. from Cromer, and adjoining Mundesley, which is connected with the Norwich and Cromer line by a branch line from North Walsham. It stands on the highest ground in Norfolk, the cliffs rising to the height of 300 feet, and commanding a magnificent view of the coast, and inland of a score or more churches. The beach, which extends to Cromer on one side and Mundesley on the other, affords delightful rambles and good and safe bathing. The church, a flint building in the Perpendicular style, contains a carved oak screen, and anciently possessed a celebrated relic, venerated as the head of St John the Baptist. Some carving on the screen, which also bears figures of St Petronilla, the reputed daughter of St Peter; St Clare, St Cecilia, St Dorothy, St Edmund, and St Edward, is supposed to represent something associated with the precious relic for which the church was formerly famous. Already Trimingham claims its share of the summer visitors to the Norfolk coast, and as accommodation is increasing here it promises soon to become a popular seaside resort. A list of the places of interest in the neighbourhood will be found under " Cromer."
Trowse Newton. - A village on the Yare, with a station 1¾ m. S.E. by S. from Norwich.
Trunch. - A village 2½ m. E. from Gunton station. The church contains some fine woodwork and a richly carved open Perpendicular roof. The font is within a wooden baptistery. The chancel screen, which dates from 1502, has figures of the Apostles on its lower panels.
Tuddenham, East. - A village 5 m. N.E. from Thuxton station. The church tower and porch are Norman, and the chancel contains a mutilated effigy. One of the windows, representing scenes in the Life of Christ, was painted by the widow of the Very Rev. Edward Mellish, Dean of Hereford, a former rector.
Tuddenham, North. - A scattered village extending from 2½ to 5 m. E. from Dereham. The church contains the lower part of an old carved oak screen painted with figures of saints.
Tunstall. - A parish on the Bure, 2 m. S.E. from Acle station. The church is partly m ruins.
Tunstead. - A village 2½ m. N.E. from Wroxham station. The church contains a fine screen, and a loft on which, it is supposed, miracle plays were formerly performed. Some interesting ironwork remains on the south door.
Tuttington. - A village on the Ant, 2 m. E. from Aylsham.
Twyford. - A parish 1 m. from Foulsham station.
Upton. - A village 2 m. N. from Acle station. The church contains a rood screen painted with figures of St Augustine, St Jerome, St Gregory the Great, St Ambrose, St Etheldreda, St Helena, St Joanna of Valois, and St Agatha; also a fine font.
upwell. - A large village, formerly a market town, partly in Cambridgeshire, 4 m. S. from Emneth station, and the terminus of a Wisbech tramway. On the chancel wall of the church of St Peter is a fine brass dated 1621, with kneeling figures of eight males and five females. Nordelph, a hamlet with a modern church, adjoins Upwell.
Weybourne. - A coast village 4 m. N.E. from Holt station. Here are ruins of a Saxon church, adjoining which a priory was built in the Norman period. On the heath are a great number of prehistoric pits such as are referred to under 4' Aylmerton." Writing of them in " Norfolk Archaeology," Mr Harrod says: - "A ridge of stones having been firmly placed on the outer side of a circular excavation, the soil from the interior was thrown out, the circle of stones preventing it from falling again into the pit. At the bottom of each pit is a large quantity of stones, which may partly have served to line it. The diameter varies from 8 to 20 ft., and the depth of each pit from 2 to 6 ft. The main body of the pits is placed directly over a spring which, bursting forth at the foot of the rising ground, runs through the present village of Weybourne."
Wacton. - A village 1 m. S.E. from Forncett junction. The church contains a brass, dated 1623, to John Knyvett de Ashwouldthorpe.
Walcott. - A coast village 4 m. N.E. from Honing station. The church contains a carved oak screen.
Wallington-with-Thorpland. - A parish 3 m. N. from Down- ham. Wallington church is in ruins; Thorpland church has disappeared. The Hall is an old building standing in a park of about 150 acres.
Walpole St Andrew. - A village, with a station 1½ m. away, 9 m. W. by S. from Lynn. The church, in the Early Perpendicular style, contains, in one of the tower buttresses, a curious cell, supposed to have been the abode of a hermit; also a large Italian picture, brought from Italy by one of the Lords Coleraine. Not far from this parish King John lost his treasure and army baggage in attempting to cross the Wash.
Walpole St Peter. - A large village 3 m. S. from Walpole station. Its church of St Peter, a very fine Perpendicular building, contains an ancient screen and some carved oak benches. The front of the book-boards in the chancel retains original painting; the panels of the screen are also painted. The south doorway is richly carved. Into the outer wall is built the figure of a satyr, popularly known as Hickathrift (see Tilney All Saints). The " Roman Bank," a sea-wall built by the Romans, crosses the parish. The Walpole family, who in the thirteenth century settled at Houghton in Norfolk, where Sir Robert Walpole, the prime minister, was born, took their name from this parish.
Walsham, North. - A small market town standing on elevated ground between the rivers Ant and Bure, and having stations on the G. E. R. and M. and G. N. railways. It is 14½ m. from Norwich. The church, a Perpendicular building, replaces one destroyed in 1381 during a local rebellion. Its tower, now in ruins, formerly had a spire which rose to the height of 147 feet. The church contains the lower part of an ancient rood screen, a good carved pulpit, a font with a tabernacle-work cover, and the tomb of Sir William Paston, the founder of the Grammar School. The Market Cross was built by Bishop Thirlby in the reign of Edward VI.; it has been restored. A cross on a heath outside the town marks the site of a battle fought in 1381, when Bishop Spencer defeated the men whom John, a Norwich dyer, inspired by the acts of Wat Tyler, had persuaded to rebel against the authorities. Inns: King's Arms and Angel.
Walsham, South. - This place, which is 3½ m. N. from Lingwood station, consists of two parishes, viz. Walsham St Mary and Walsham St Lawrence. The churches of these parishes stand in
the same churchyard. That of St Lawrence is partly in ruins in consequence of a fire which occurred in 1827. South Walsham Broad is in these parishes; and not far away, on the opposite bank of the Bure, are the ruins of St Benet's Abbey.
WALSINGHAM. - A union town, with a station, 5 m. S.E. by E. from Wells. The church, a fine cruciform building, contains a splendid alabaster monument, dated 1612, to Sir Henry Sidney and his wife. The font, now much mutilated, is described as one of the finest examples of Perpendicular fonts in England. Here are the ruins of the famous priory to which pilgrims came from all parts of Europe. The grounds of Walsingham Abbey, in which are the ruins, are thrown open to the public every Wednesday. Inn: Black Lion.
Walsingham, Old. - A village 1 m. N,E. from Walsingham station. The church contains a pulpit dating from 1613; also some interesting carved seats and desks. The site of another church is traceable in a field not far from the existing church.
Walsoken. - A parish and large village (of which a part is called New Walsoken) adjoining Wisbefh, from which it is separated by a canal. The church, a large building in the Norman style with later portions, is one of the most interesting in the county. Both porch and chancel arch have rich Norman mouldings and the interior generally is remarkable for its varied mouldings. The font is ornamented by carved representations of the Sacraments of the Roman Church. Here, too, are some fine fifteenth century screens.
Walton, East. - A village 2¼ m. N. from Narborough station,
Walton, West. - A village 1 m. from Ferry station. The church is Early English with Perpendicular portions. Its bell-tower stands some 70 feet from the church and forms an entrance to the churchyard. The south porch is Transition Norman; the west and north doorways are ornamented with carved work. The nave piers and the capitals and niches in the choir are particularly good. The font is interesting, and the church contains an effigy of a prior of Ely.
Warham All Saints. - A parish near the sea and 2 m. S. by E. from Wells. The church was formerly a much larger building, of which portions of a massive tower remain. It contains two brasses, one a curious one, dated 1474.
Warham St Mary. - A village near the sea, adjoining Warham All Saints. There are remains here of a fortified camp with a triple fosse, covering about nine acres; also of a large hall, once the seat of the Turners, a family whose vault is in a small chapel north of the church chancel.
waterden. - A parish 4 m. W. by S. from Walsingham station. The existing church is a portion of a much larger building, of which there.ire other traces.
Watlington. - A village on the Great Ouse, with a junction station called Magdalen Road.
Watton. - A large village with a station 10 m. S. from Dereham. The church is a flint building in the Norman and Gothic styles. Its chancel contains a leper's window, the font has an old oak cover; and a curious old poor box is preserved bearing the date 1552. Wayland Wood, on the south side of the village, is the reputed scene of the murder of "The Babes in the Wood "; but the tradition probably originated from a carved mantel-shelf in an old house in the wood, on which the story was illustrated. The principal inns are the George, and Crown.
Waxham. - A coast village 5 m. E. from Stalham station. The church is partly in ruins. Sea encroachments have considerably reduced the size of this place, which was formerly a large parish.
Weasenham All Saints. - A village 3 m. S.E. from East Rud- ham station. The churchyard contains a fine monument to a parishioner who died in 1768.
Weasenham St Peter. - A parish 2½ m. S.E. from East Rudham station.
Weeting-with-Bromehill. - A parish (in which is Brandon station) on the Little Ouse. There were formerly two churches here, but that of All Saints was demolished in the eighteenth century by the falling of the tower. Its ruins are in Weeting Park. The existing church is a small flint building in the Decorated style. The earthwork known as the " Devil's Dyke " borders this parish for about 3 miles, and an ancient vallum extends from the Ouse to Didlington. Here, too, are "Grimes' Graves." These are a large number of circular pits, pronounced to be prehistoric flint quarries. Weeting Hall, the seat of the Angersteins, one of whom made the collection which formed the nucleus of the National Gallery, contains some valuable pictures, including Sir Joshua Reynold's " Garrick between Tragedy and Comedy."
Welborne. - A village 3½ m. N. N. E. from Hardingham station.
Wellingham. - A parish 6 m. S.S.W. from Fakenham.
WELLS. - A small coast town with a station 10 m. N. from Fakenham and 32 m. N.W. from Norwich. Its church was almost entirely destroyed by a fire caused by lightning in 18791 but has been rebuilt. It has a fine open roof, and retains some traces of early mural paintings. A doorway leading to the vestry is richly carved, and above it is a brass to a rector who died in 1499. An old oak chest, dated 1635, is kept in the vestry. A promenade about a mile in length extends from the quay to the beach, where is a place of refreshment called the Beach House. A firm sandy beach offers good bathing facilities, and golf links within 3/4 m. of the town are among the attractions of this quiet little seaport. It is a convenient centre from which tourists and visitors may make excursions to Holkham Hall, Walsingham Priory, Stiffkey, and Binham Priory, The chief inns are the Crown, Globe, and Railway, and there is lodging-house accommodation,
<<< Previous page <<<
>>> Next page >>>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 <13> 14 15 16