Gazetteer page 12
Stradsett. - A village 4 m. N.E. from Downham. The stained east window of the church was made at Amsterdam in 1543. The Hall is a large and ancient house. Adjoining it is a lake of about 20 acres.
Stratton, Long. - This place, which was formerly a market town, is 2 m. E. from Forncett junction. It comprises two parishes, Stratton St Mary and Stratton St Michael. St Mary's Church, a large flint building with a round tower, contains a handsome marble monument, dated 1647, to Sir Edmund Reve, Justice of the Common Pleas; also an altar-tomb to a fifteenth century rector. In the vestry is a curious contrivance called a "Sexton's Wheel," by which a penance day known as "the Lady's Fast" was determined.
Stratton Strawless. - A village 1½ m. S.W. from Buxton-Lammas station. The church contains a black marble altar-tomb, with an effigy in a shroud, above which are the figures of two angels, to Thomas Marsham, who died in 1638; also a cross-legged figure in mail, supposed to be that of Sir Ralph Marsham, who died in 1250. The Marsham family had the manor from the time of Edward I., and one of them, a naturalist and F.R.S., who died in 1797, planted most of the fine trees which surround the Hall.
Strumpshaw. - A village 1 3/4 m. N. from Buckenham station. The church contains a painted rood screen and some brasses.
Sturston. - A village 6 m. S.W. from Watton station. The church is in ruins.
Suffield. - A parish 1½ m. N. from Felmingham station.
SURLINGHAM. - A village on the Yare, 1½ m. S. from Brundall station. The church of St Saviour is in ruins. St Mary's Church is a small Gothic building. This place is a favourite Broadland angling resort, and contains Surlingham Broad, a sheet of water about 70 acres in extent. The broad is connected with the Yare by channels navigable to small sailing craft. Boats can be hired at the Yare Hotel (Brundall) and Cold- ham Hall Inn. The latter is reached by a ferry which crosses the river a few minutes' walk from Brundall station.
Sustead. - A parish 1½ m. S. by W. from Cromer. The old Hall was built in 1663.
Sutton. - A village about 1 m. from Catfield and Stalham stations.
Swaffham. - Amarkettown, with a station, 28 m. W. from Norwich and 14½ m. S. E. from Lynn. The church is a large Perpendicular building erected about 1474. Its north aisle is said to have been built by John Chapman, whose device, carved in certain parts of the church, probably gave rise to the tradition that Swaffham Church was built by a pedlar. Among the monuments is one to John Botwright, D.D., seventh master of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and chaplain to Henry VI.; another to Catherine Steward, who died in 1590. The roof of the chancel is finely carved and supported by angels with outspread wings. A priest's chamber over the vestry contains some armour and books.
A monument and drinking fountain in the market-place was erected in memory of Sir William Bagge, Bart., M.P. The market cross was rebuilt in 1783 by Horatio, Earl of Orford, and is surmounted by a figure of Ceres. Inn: George.
Among the places of interest in the neighbourhood of Swaffham are: Castle Acre Castle and Priory, distant miles; Oxborough Hall, distant miles; Cressingham Manor House, distant 5 miles.
Swafield. - A village 2 m. N. from North Walsham.
Swainsthorpe. - A village, with a station, 5 m. S. by W. from Norwich. The church has a fine restored Perpendicular roof and Norman font.
Swanington. - A scattered vttlage 1 m. N. from Attlebridge station and 3½ m, S. from Cawston station. Robert Kett, the Wymondham tanner who raised an insurrection in Norfolk in 1549, was captured in this parish after the defeat of his followers by the Earl of Warwick's troops. Swanington Lawn contains some fine old oak carving brought from the house of William Rogers, mayor of Norwich in 1543 and 1548.
Swanton Abbot. - A parish 2§ m. W. from Worstead station. The church contains a good brass, dated 1477, to Stephen de Multon.
Swanton Morley. - A village on the Wensum, 2\ m. from North Elmham station. The church, built by William, third Baron Morley, about 1379, is a flint building in the Perpendicular style. Portions of the foundations and cellars of the ancient castle of the Lords Morley may be seen on the bank of the Wensum, opposite Bylaugh Park.
Swanton Novers. - A village 2 m. S.W. from Melton Constable station.
Swardeston. - A village 2 m. N. from Swainsthorpe station. Its Early English church contains a fine screen.
Syderstone. - A small village 4½ m. S.E. from Stanhoe station. This place disputes with Stanfield Hall, Wymondham, having been the birthplace of the unfortunate Amy Robsart, who married Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, and whose death occurred under mysterious circumstances at Cumnor Hall, near Oxford, in 1560.
Tacolnstone. - A village 1½ m. S. from Ashwellthorpe station. The church contains a Jacobean pulpit, an ancient font, and part of a finely carved and painted screen. The Hall, built in the reign of Queen Anne, but recently enlarged, is surrounded by a moat.
Tasburgh. - A village on the Tas, 1½ m. S.E. from Flordon station. The church, which has a Norman round tower and contains an ancient font and several sixteenth century brasses, stands within a quadrangular Roman camp about 24 acres in extent, supposed to be the Roman " Ad Tavum," a fortress on the chief Roman road from Londinium to Venta. Tasburgh Hall is a house in the late Jacobean style containing some good oak panelling, chimney-pieces, and antique furniture.
Tatterford. - A parish 3/4 m. N.W. from Raynham Park station.
Tatterset (or Gatesend). - A small village 2 m. N.W. from Raynham Park station.
Taverham. - A village on the Wensum, m. W. from Drayton station. The church has a round Saxon tower and contains a handsome font.
Terrington St Clement. - A large village, with a station, 5 m. W. from Lynn by ferry and 6½ by road. The church is one of the finest Perpendicular structures in the county. It is a large cruciform building with a clerestorial nave and detached tower, the latter, which is very massive, probably having been built as a refuge from floods. The font has a verycurious cover, upon the panels of which are painted representations of the Baptism and Temptation of Our Lord. In the latter the devil wears a red robe and golden crown. Another panel represents a forest scene, and above are the Evangelists with their emblems and a curious inscription. Some wooden framed panels in the transepts contain the Lord's Prayer and the Belief, and are dated 1635. During the French invasion of Holland, the Prince of Orange sought refuge here, and was the guest of Baron Feagle, a Dutch refugee, who lived at a house now called Orange Farm.
Terrington St John. - A village 3 m. S. from Terrington station. The church tower stands some fifteen feet from the church, but is connected with it by a structure known as the "priest's house."
Testerton. - A parish 2 m. W. from Ryburgh station. The church has disappeared, except a small portion of the tower.
Tharston. - A scattered village 1 m. N.E. from Forncett junction. The church contains a monument, with figures of two soldiers standing with reversed arms, to the late General Sir Robert John Hervey, K.C.B., whose mausoleum is in the churchyard. The Hall is an old house in the Elizabethan style.
Thelveton. - A village 2½ m. N.E. from Diss station. The church contains a finely carved sixteenth century font. The Hall is a picturesque Elizabethan house.
Themelthorpe. - A village 1 m. from Guestwick station.
Thetford. - An ancient borough, with junction stations, on the border of Suffolk, 31 m. S.W. from Norwich, 20 m. S.E. fromWymondham, and 78 m. from London. The town was incorporated by Queen Elizabeth in 1573. During the Anglo-Saxon period, Uffa, the first king of the East Angles, made it a royal seat under the name of Theodford. Strenuously contested battles with the Danes were fought in the neighbourhood, at Rushford Heath, where there are remains of a camp, and at Snarehill, where the fighting lasted several days. In 870, the Danes under Inguar defeated King Edmund here, and shortly afterwards slew him. In 1004, Sweyn, King of Denmark, to avenge the massacre ordered by Ethelred II., burnt the town, as he did again in 1010. After the Norman Conquest the bishopric was removed from Elmham to Thetford, where it remained until Herbert de Lozinga removed it to Norwich. A residence called the " King's House," still standing in King Street, was used as a country seat by several kings. It was rebuilt in the reign of Elizabeth, and given by James I. to Sir Philip Wodehouse of Kimberley, whose arms are on a stone in the conservatory. Another house called the Manor House, primarily the residence of the Earls Warren, became a royal seat when the manor passed into the possession of the Crown as part of the Duchy of Lancaster.
The Castle Hill, on the east side of the town, is an artificial mound like that upon which Norwich Castle stands. Nothing is known as to its origin.
The Red Castle, which formed the western extremity of the town's southern fortifications, is to the left of the Brandon Road.
The ruins of a Cluniac priory, founded in 1104 by Roger Bigod, and removed in the twelfth century from the Suffolk to the Norfolk side of the river, are of considerable extent, the Abbey Gate being the most imposing portion. Here were buried successive generations of the families of Bigod, Mowbray, and Howard, who in turn bore the title of Duke of Norfolk.
The remains of a Saxon monastery known as the Nunnery, founded to commemorate the battle at Snarehill, form part of the " Place " farm, the conventual church being used as a barn. Adjoining the Boys' Grammar School are some ruins of Great St Mary's Church, the cathedral of the See of Thetford. Between the Brandon road and the river are some traces of the monastery of the Holy Sepulchre, erected in 1109 by William, Earl Warren.
At one time there were twenty parish churches here, but most of these have disappeared, and the remains existing are only fragmentary. The most interesting relic of these vanished shrines is the south transept arch of the old church of Holy Trinity, which is in the Boys' Grammar School. Of the three churches now used for worship, the finest is that of St Mary the Less, a large building in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, on the Suffolk side of the river. Its square tower contains six bells made in the town in 1615. The font is Norman. Sir Richard Fulmerstone, the founder of the Grammar School, was buried here in 1566. During the civil war between Charles I. and the Parliament, the church was used as a stable by the Parliamentary forces. St Peter's Church, at the corner of King Street and White Hart Street, is a black flint building in the Decorated style. St Cuthbert's, near the market-place, was almost entirely rebuilt in the middle of the nineteenth century. It contains a fine oak screen.
The Guildhall was first the hall of a guild founded by Gilbert de Pykenham in the thirteenth century. The Boys' Grammar School, in which Thomas Paine, the politician and theologian, who was born in Thetford in 1737, was educated, was founded in 1566, on the site of the cathedral church. It was restored in 1880. The Bell Hotel is an Elizabethan hostelry, of considerable repute in the old coaching days. West of the town lies the great Warren, bounded on the north by the Ouse. It abounds with rabbits, and on its highest ground stands an ancient building of unknown origin called the Warren Lodge. Some interesting excursions may be made in the neighbourhood of Thetford, notably in the direction of Brandon, famous for its ancient flint-knapping industry. The principal inns are the Bell, Unicorn, Anchor, and Temperance hotels.
Thompson. - A parish 1 m. W. from Stow Bedon station. The church, built about 1300, contains a variety of poppy-headed benches, and a carved oak screen. The south chapel was built about 1450 as a chantry and place of interment for the founder, Sir Thomas de Shardetow and his family.
Thornage, - A village 2½ m. S.W. from Holt.. In the church is an old oak table; also a monument, with effigies and shields of arms, to Sir William Butts, who died in 1583, and whose father was chief physician to Henry VIII.
Thornham. - A coast village 5 m. E.N.E, from Hunstanton. The church has a fine timber roof and several old carved doors, and contains a portion of a fifteenth century painted rood screen; also a pulpit dated 1631.
Thorpe (next Haddiscoe). - A village 2½ m. S.W. from Haddiscoe station.
Thorpe (next Norwich). - A village on the Yare, 2 m. E. from Norwich, with a station called Whitlingham junction. The old church is a picturesque ruin. Attached to the Old Hall or Manor House, which stands near the river, and which was formerly a country seat of the bishops of Norwich, are the remains of a chapel.
Thorpe Abbotts. - A village on the Waveney, 4½ m. E. from Diss station.
Thorpe Market. - A village 1½ m. E. by N. from Gunton station.
Thorpe Parva. - (See Scole).
Threxton. - A parish 2½ m. W. from Watton station. The church roof and the splays of the arches are interesting; also the carved oak screen, poppy-headed benches, and Jacobean desk and pulpit.
Thrigby. - A parish 4 m. S.W. from Ormesby station. The Hall grounds contain some fine old trees and a very ancient yew fence.
Thurgarton. - A parish 5 m. W. from Gunton station. The Hall, which has been in the possession of the Spurrell family about 350 years, was rebuilt in the Tudor style in 1733.
Thurlton. - A village 4 m. W. from Haddiscoe station. The church contains a fine carved oak screen and some ancient monuments.
Thurne. - A small village on the rivers Bure and Thurne, 4 m. W. from Martham station. One of the church bells is said to date from the fourteenth century.
Thurning. - A scattered village 2 m. N. from Guestwick station.
Thursford. - A village, with a station, 5 m. N.E. from Fakenham. The Hall, an Elizabethan house, is surrounded by a small but well-wooded park in which the church stands.
Thurton. - A village 4 m. S.W. from Buckenham station.
Thuxton. - A scattered parish, with a station, 5½ m. S. by E. from Dereham. The church contains three sixteenth century brasses.
Thwaite All Saints. - A village 5 m. N. from Aylsham.
Thwaite St Mary. - A village 4 m. N. from Bungay station. The church has a Norman doorway.
<<< Previous page <<<
>>> Next page >>>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 <12> 13 14 15 16