Gazetteer page 3
Burnham Sutton and Ulph, - A small village adjoining Burnham Market. The church of St Albert is an ivy-clad ruin.
Burnham Thorpe. - A village 1 m. E. by S. from Burnham Market station. The birthplace of Lord Nelson, whose father, the Rev. Edmund Nelson, M.A., was rector of the parish from 1755 to 1802. The old rectory in which the hero of the Nile and Trafalgar spent his childhood has been pulled down. Nelson always had a great affection for it and his native village, and when raised to the peerage assumed the title of Baron Nelson of the Nile and of Burnham Thorpe. The church contains an oak lectern, constructed from a portion of H.M.S. Victory, presented by the Lords of the Admiralty. A Nelson Memorial Hall, which serves as a village reading and lecture hall, has been erected here, and contains an oil-painting copied from Abbot's picture in the Greenwich Gallery, and a curious tablet representing Nelson's death. Her Majesty the Queen and the Prince of Wales are patrons of a fund for the restoration of the church. The first meeting of the committee was held at Marlborough House in 1890, when it was decided that this restoration should be carried out as a memorial to Lord Nelson, Sir Arthur Blomfield, A.R.A., stating that the church was '' a good specimen of the churches of a county unusually rich in mediaeval ecclesiastical architecture," and adding that if carefully repaired it might be made a noble memorial. The sum (£7000) necessary to complete the work has not yet been raised, although members of the Royal family and others have contributed liberally.
Burston. - A village 3 m. N. by E. from Diss, with a station on the Norwich and Ipswich line.
Buxton. - A village on the Bare, with a station called Buxton Lammas on the East Norfolk line.
Bylaugh. - A parish on the north bank of the Wensum, 3½ m. S.E. from North Elmham station. The Hall is a fine mansion, designed by the late Sir Charles Barry for the late Sir John Lombe Bart., a representative of the families of Foliot and Hastings. Its interior is decorated by the work of German artists, and it stands in a park of about 1000 acres.
CAISTER. - A coast village with a station 2 m. N. from Yarmouth. Formerly there were two churches here, but of one of these only a portion of the tower remains. Caister Castle, built by Sir John Fastolff in the middle of the fifteenth century, is one of the most interesting ruins in the county. A charge of twopence is made for admission to the grounds in which the castle stands. Visitors staying in Yarmouth can journey by train to Caister from the Beach station, or by wagonettes which run from near St Nicholas Church. The wagonettes stop at the village, from which the castle is distant about miles.
CAISTOR ST EDMUND. - A scattered village 3 m. S. from Norwich and 2 m. N. from Swainsthorpe station. This place, the Venta Icenorum of the Romans, is remarkable for its well-preserved Roman camp. The church, within the ramparts of the camp, contains a fine Perpendicular font.
Caldecote. - A parish 5 m. S. from Narborough station.
Calthorpe. - A village 4 m. from Aylsham.
CANTLEY. - A parish 10 m. E. from Norwich, with a ferry on the Yare and a station on the Norwich and Yarmouth line. This is a Broadland angling resort. Boats may be hired at the Red House Inn, near the station.
Carbrooke. - A village 2 m. N.E. from Watton station. The church, a fine Perpendicular building, contains a good carved oak screen and some old armour. In the chancel are the tombs of Roger de Clare, the founder of the church, and his mother.
Carleton Rode. - A scattered village 4 m. N.W. from Tivetshall station. The church is a flint Perpendicular building, with a clerestoried nave and embattled tower. There is a piscina in each aisle, and a double piscina and eight consecration crosses in the chancel.
Carleton St Peter. - A village 2½ m. S. from Buckenham station, near which is a ferry across the Yare.
Carlton, East. - A scattered village 2 m. W. from Swainsthorpe • station.
Carlton Forehoe. - A village 2 m. E. from Kimberley station.
Castle Acre. - A village 4½ m. N. from Swaffham. The river Nar flows through the parish and provides trout fishing. There are ruins here of a Norman castle and Cluniac priory.
Castle Rising. - A parish on a stream called the Babingley River, 2 m. E. from North Wootton station. This place was once a considerable town. It is now chiefly visited for its ruined castle, built by William D'Albini in 1171. The church, a fine example of late Norman work, probably dates from the early part of the twelfth century.
Caston. - A village 1½ m. N.E. from Stow Bedon station. The church, a fine building in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, contains a Jacobean pulpit, some benches adorned with poppy heads, the base of a rood screen, and a brass candelabrum from Waltham Abbey. A tomb casing in the north wall of the nave is possibly that of Sir John de Caston, the founder of the church. The church farmhouse was formerly a refectory for pilgrims to Walsinghatm.
Catfield. - A village near the Ant, with a station, 14 m. N.E. from Norwich. The parish includes parts of Hickling and Barton Broads. A carved oak screen divides the church chancel and nave.
Catton. - A picturesque Norwich suburb. The church contains some interesting monuments, including one in the Gothic style, exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851.
Cawston. - A large village, with a station, 4 m. S.W. from Aylsham. Its fine Perpendicular church is one which no one who visits the neighbourhood, and is interested in ecclesiastical architecture, should fail to see. Its nave has a splendid open roof with double hammer beams, the lower arches of which are carried on wooden shafts, rising between the clerestory windows. Its rood screen is an unusually fine one. There is a sacristy, used as a morning chapel, on the south side of the chancel. Near the Woodrow Inn a small stone pillar marks the spot where Sir Henry Hobart, Bart., and M.P., fell in a duel fought with Mr Oliver Le Neve on August 21st, 1698. Sir Henry Hobart, who lived at Blickling Hall, where his armorial bearings may still be seen over the door, was the father of the first Earl of Buckinghamshire.
Chedgrave. - A village on the north bank of the Chet, adjoining Loddom, and 5 m. S.E. from Buckenham station. Its church, an ancient building in the Norman style, has good Norman doorways, and its windows contain some stained glass brought by Lady Procter Beauchamp from Rouen Cathedral after the French Revolution.
Choseley. - A small parish 3 m. N. by W. from Docking station.
Claxton, - A village 2 m. S. from Buckenham station. The church contains an interesting tomb, dated 1620, to the Gawdy family. Near Claxton manor-house, now a farmhouse, are the ruins of a castellated mansion.
Clenchwarton. - A village with a station, 2 m. W. from Lynn by ferry. Salt marshes extend from here to the Wash, and much of the land is reclaimed fen.
CLEY. - A small coast town 12 m. W. from Cromer and 4 m. N.N.W. from Holt station. Its very interesting church. The chief hotels are the "George" and " Temperance."
Clippesby. - A parish 3 m. S.W, from Martham station. Its little church is Norman and Early English, and has two Norman doorways. In it are brasses dated 1508 and 1594.
Cockley Cley. - A parish 4 m. S.W. from Swaffham. Its church is Early English. An ancient chapel of St Mary is now a cottage.
Cockthorpe, - A village 5 m. E.S.E. from Wells. Its church, chiefly Early English, contains monuments to Sir John Calthorpe, who died in 1615, and h is wife. Th is viUagewas the birthplace of Sir Cloudesley Shovel. There are to be seen here some remains of a large mansion formerly the seat of the Calthorpe family.
Colby. - A village 3½ m. N.E. from Aylsham.
Colkirk. - A village 2 m. S. from Fakenham,
Colney. - A parish near the Yare, 3 m. W. from Norwich.
COLTISHALL. - A large village on the Bure, 7 m. N. from Norwich, with a station on the Wroxham and Aylsham line. The church is in the Early English style. Its west doorway and tower battlements are adorned with some curious figures. This place is a Broadland angling resort. Boats may be hired at the Anchor Inn, and there is accommodation for visitors at the King's Head, White Horse, New Inn, and elsewhere in the village.
Colton. - A village on the Yare, 4 m. N.E. from Kimberley station. Its small Early English church contains a good screen, the seats have some carved poppy heads, and there is a holy water stoup inside the south door.
Colveston. - A parish 6 m. N. from Brandon station. The church has almost disappeared.
Congham. - A village 1 m. E. by N. from Grimstone Road station. The birthplace of Sir Henry Spelman, the famous Elizabethan antiquary.
Corpusty. - A village with a station, 6 m. N.W. from Aylsham.
Costessey (called "Cossey"). - A village on the Wensum, 1 m. S.W. from Drayton station. The church is a large building chiefly in the Gothic style, but with a Norman south doorway. It contains a Gothic screen, a Jacobean pulpit, and monuments of the Waldegrave and Jerningham families. The Costessey estate was granted by Queen Mary to Sir Henry Jerningham, her Vice- Chamberlain and Master of the Horse. The Old Hall and New Hall (the seat of Lord Stafford) are described on pp. 121-2. The latter contains a portrait of Queen Mary by Holbein, another of Richard III., and a drawing by Vandyck of the Earl of Arundel and his family. One of the rooms is fitted up with carved woodwork of the fifteenth century from the abbey of St Amand, at Rouen.
Coston. - A parish on the Yare, 1 m. N.E. from Hardingham station. The church is an ancient building.
Cranwich. - A parish on the Wissey, 6 m. N. from Brandon station. The church is an ancient building with a round tower.
Cranworth. - A village 4 m. W. from Hardingham station. Its thirteenth-century church contains some interesting memorials to the Gurdon family, including one to Brampton Gurdon, M.P. for Sudbury, who commanded the Suffolk Horse at the battle of Naseby; also some carved oak choir stalls and an old oak screen. The village "stocks" are still standing on the church green.
Creake, North. - A village 3 m. S.E. from Burnham Market station. The church, a fine building in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, contains an Easter sepulchre and a good brass with effigy of Sir William Calthorpe. At the north end of the parish are the ruins of an abbey founded about 1226 by Sir Robert de Nereford for Augustinian canons.
Creake, South. - A village 4 m. S. from Burnham Market station. The church contains an oak rood screen, and has some good windows with old stained glass; also a massive cedar-lined oak chest with five locks. About half a mile from the church is a remarkable fortification, supposed to be Saxon. The road which leads to it is called " Bloodgate," and there is a tradition that it was the scene of a battle between the Saxons and Danes.
Cressingham, Great. - A village on the Wissey, 4½ m. S.W. from Holme Hale station. The church is a fine Gothic building with a carved oak roof. The font has an oaken canopy, and there are some old brasses. The manor-house, a fifteenth-century mansion, now a farmhouse, is very interesting.
Cressingham, Little.- A village 3½ m. W. from Watton station. The church, partly in ruins, has some carved poppy heads in the chancel, and contains a monument to the first and only Earl of Clermont..
Crimplesham. - A village 2½ m. E. from Downham station.
Cringleford. - A village on the Yare, 3 m. S.W. from Norwich (Victoria) station.
Cromer. - This well-known town, the most delightful seaside resort on the Norfolk coast, is about twenty-two miles N. from Norwich, and 130 from London. It stands on cliffs which rise to a considerable height, and is sheltered by well- wooded hills. Of late years its popularity has so increased that its inhabitants have had difficulty in accommodating the great numbers of visitors; but the erection of new hotels, streets, and boarding houses has made ample provision for all comers. The undermining influence of the waves formerly did much damage to Cromer; indeed Old Cromer or Shipden has entirely disappeared into the sea; but the erection of a stone-walled esplanade has served to protect the existing town, and it is only east and west of the town that the cliffs are now subject to occasional landslips, such as have necessitated the reconstruction of the lighthouse. There is excellent bathing, and the beach is one of the finest on the coast. "The best of the sea's lutes," said Mr Theodore Watts to George Borrow, "is made by the sands of Cromer." The cliffs all along this part of the coast are of great interest to geologists, for the Norwich Crag is to be seen at Weybourne, and for miles the remarkable pre-glacial Forest Bed is visible. Lyell says it consists of '' stumps of numerous trees, standing erect, with their roots attached to them, and penetrating in all directions into the loam or ancient vegetable soil on which they grew. They mark the site of a forest which existed there for a long time, since besides the erect trunks of trees, some of them two and three feet in diameter, there is a vast accumulation of vegetable matter in the immediately overlying clays." Above it, in the cliffs, are sands and clays with lignite. Traces of many kinds of plants and seeds are found in the forest bed, among them firs, yews, oaks, and alders, and white and yellow water lilies; also insects and fresh water shells. Far more interesting, however, are the mammalian remains, which include those of "three distinct elephants, a rhinoceros and hippopotamus, a large extinct beaver, and several large estuarian and marine mammalia, such as the walrus, the narwhal, and the whale."
Cromer Church is a fine Perpendicular building of flint and freestone, with a clerestoried nave of five bays, and an embattled tower 159 feet high. Originally it was greatly ornamented with sculptured work, and its Galilee porch is adorned with some good figures of saints and angels. Some part of the old rood turret remains. There is fine tracery in the windows, and the inlaid work along the plinth, and the panelling and niches in the buttresses are particularly interesting. The font is a copy of a very fine one in Yaxham Church. The chancel, for a long time in ruins, was restored in 1887-9 at a cost nearly £7000, under the direction of Sir Arthur W. Blomfield.
The Royal Cromer Golf Club's links are on the Lighthouse Hills about half a mile eastward of the town. Here a challenge cup presented by the Prince of Wales, who is patron of the club, is annually competed for. The present lighthouse, which replaces one that, after standing a long time dismantled, fell over the cliff in 1867, is only 52 feet high, but is about 252 feet above the level of the sea.
<<< Previous page <<<
>>> Next page >>>
Pages: 1 2 <3> 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16