Gazetteer page 11
SALTHOUSE. - A coast parish 4 m. N. trom Holt station. The church, a large Perpendicular building, contains several poppy- headed benches. A curious earthwork is to be seen on a heath adjoining the parish of Kelling.
Sandringham. - A village 1 3/4 m. E. from Wolferton station, and 7½ m. N. by E. from Lynn. H.R.H. the Prince of Wales is lord of the manor and occupies the Hall. A description of the church, park, and neighbourhood is given in Itinerary VIII. Sandringham Park is now thrown open to the public on Wednesdays, between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., when the Royal Family are not in residence. Applications for admission should be made by post to Mr Back, Estate Office, Sandringham, or personally before noon on the day of the visit. Cheap tickets to Sandringham are issued by the G. E. R. Company on certain days during the summer months.
Santon. - A parish on the Little Ouse, 3 m. E. from Brandon station. The church, a small flint building re-built in 1628, contains a timber roof, screens, and floor tiles, removed here from West Tofts church in 1858.
Saxlingham. - A parish 3 m. W. from Holt station. A niche in the church contains an effigy of the wife of Sir Christopher Heydon, who died in 1593.
Saxlingham-Nethergate. - A village 2½ m. E. from Flordon station.
Saxlingham-Thorpe. - A parish on the Tas, adjoining Saxlingham- Nethergate. The church is in ruins.
Saxthorpe. - A small village on the Bure, with a station in the adjoining parish of Corpusty.
Scarning, - A village 2 m. E. from Wendling station. The church, a large building in mixed styles, contains a chantry chapel, a good rood screen, and a small sanctus bell in its original oak frame. Drjessop, the author of " Arcady," "The Coming of the Friars," and several archaeological works, is rector of the parish.
Scole. - A village on the Waveney, 2 m. E. from Diss station. The church is an ancient flint building in the Early English style. In the old coaching days an inn here, the "White Hart," was a famous hostelry. It was erected in 1655, and still contains some old carving; but its great sign, on which many figures, including those of Diana and Actseon, Charon and Cerebus, were carved in wood at a cost of £1057 has disappeared. Thorpe Parva, a small hamlet 3 m. E. from Diss, is included in this parish. Only a portion of its church tower remains.
Scottow. - A scattered village 2 m. W. from Worstead station.
Scoulton. - A village 4 m. E. from Watton station. There is a mere here 1½ m. in circumference. It is the breeding-place of large numbers of black-headed gulls, who build their nests on a swampy island. "The sight of tiss birds of Scoulton," says the late Mr G. D. Rowley, '' as they rise in a dense mass, filling the air like snow, is certainly very beautiful; and the sound of the multitude of voices is music to the ornithological ear. The gulls chiefly congregate at each end of ' the heath,' as the great island is called, on which Scotch firs and birches grow. If an unfortunate heron appears they mob him, and keep even the swans at a respectful distance, with blows on the head." Permission must be obtained before visitors can examine this interesting " gullery."
Sculthorpe. - A scattered village 2 m. N.W. from Fakenham. The church contains a brass, with kneeling effigy, to Henry Unton, receiver of fines of the Court of Common Pleas, who died in 1470; and two other brasses, dating respectively from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. It has a fine Norman font, bearing sculptured representations of the Adoration of the Three Kings.
Sedgeford. - A village with a station 3/4 m. N., 10 m. S.W. from Burnham Market. The church contains a Norman font and some old woodwork.
Seething. - A village 5 m. N. from Bungay station.
Setch. - A parish 4 m. S. from Lynn.
Sharrington. - A village 3½ m. W.S.W. from Holt station. The church contains some fifteenth and sixteenth century brasses.
Shelfhanger. - A village 3½ m. N.W. from Diss station.
SheltoN. - A village 5 m. S.E. from Forncett junction. The church contains an undated altar-tomb with kneeling effigies to Sir Robert Houghton, his two wives and son; also three altar-tombs to members of the Shelton family. The font is old and curiously carved. The Hall, a moated house formerly the seat of the Shelton family, is now a farmhouse.
Shereford. - A parish on the Wensum, 2 m. W. from Fakenham. The church is in the Norman and Early English styles, and has a round tower.
Sheringham. - A rising seaside resort, with a station, 4 m. from Cromer. This place is fast gaining popularity among visitors to the Norfolk coast, for whom it provides plenty of accommodation, and has many natural attractions. The neighbourhood is charmingly picturesque, its scenery more resembling that of the Isle of Wight than any other part of the country. The cliffs rise to a considerable height, and command wide views of the coast; the beach equals that of Cromer. A great number of places of interest are within easy distance of the villages of Upper and Lower Sheringham, which together form a parish: a list of them will be found under the heading of " Cromer," and a description of most of them in the chapter, '' By the Wild North Sea." The church, a Perpendicular building, contains some interesting monuments and brasses, including a monument to Thomas Heath, who was robbed bind murdered near here in 1635. The links of the Sheringham Golf Club, laid out by Mr Tom Dunn in 1891, are on the summit of cliffs rising 200 feet above the beach. There is a well-appointed clubhouse. Visitors are at all times permitted to walk or drive through the grounds of Sheringham Hall. The principal hotels are the Sheringham, Crown, and Railway.
During the summer months omnibuses run each week-day between Cromer (G.E. R.) station and Sheringham, in connection with the principal express trains from and to London.
Shernborne. - A village 3 m. E. from Snettisham station. The church, which contains a fine ancient font, is said to be the second founded by St Felix in East Anglia.
Shimpling. - A scattered village ½ m. E. from Burston station.
Shingham. - A small parish 4½ m. S.W. from Swaffham. The church, which has no tower, and has not been used for many years, has a fine Early Norman south doorway.
Shipdham. - A large village 4 m. S.W. from Yaxham station. The church, a large building in the Early English style, contains a very fine wooden lectern. Over the porch is a parvise containing a collection of rare old books, including "The Floure of the Commandments," printed by Wynkyn de Worde in 1509, and an illuminated Psalter of the fifteenth century.
Shotesham All Saints. - A village 3 m. S.E. from Swainsthorpe station.
Shotesham St Mary. - A parish 2 m. S.E. from Swainsthorpe station. This parish consists of three ancient parishes, the churches of two of which have been in ruins for several centuries.
Shouldham. - A village 5 m. S.E. from Magdalen Road junction.
Shouldham Thorpe. - A straggling village 4 m. S.E. from Magdalen Road junction.
Shropham. - A parish 3 m. N. from Harling Road station.
Sidestrand. - A coast parish 3 m. S.E. from Cromer. The tower of the old church stands on the edge of the cliffs, which rise to a height of about 150 feet above the beach. Most of the farmers and cottagers in the parish and neighbourhood let rooms to visitors.
Sizeland. - A village 5 m. S. from Buckenham station. Some ruins of an ancient chapel are attached to the church.
Skeyton. - A scattered parish 3½ m. E. from Buxton-Lammas station.
Sloley. - A village 1 m. S. from Worstead station. The church, an ancient building in the Early English style, contains a font bearing carved representations of the seven Sacraments of the Catholic Church.
Smallburgh. - A village 2½ m. S.W. from Stalham station and 3 m. from Worstead station.
Snarehill, Great and Little. - Form a parish adjoining Thetford. Several large tumuli in this neighbourhood are supposed to indicate the battlefield upon which Edmund, King of the East Angles, was defeated and captured by the Danes under Inguar, who caused him to be fastened to a tree and shot to death with arrows.
Snetterton. - A scattered village 2 m. N. from Eccles Road station. The church contains a painted and gilt carved screen.
Snettisham. - A village on the coast road from Lynn to Hunstanton, with a station on the Lynn and Hunstanton line. The church, a large flint and stone building, stands on high ground, and its spire is a useful landmark to seamen. At one time the tower was a central one; but part of the church has disappeared except for some scanty ruins. The west front is in imitation of that of Peterborough Cathedral, and contains a fine Decorated window. The clerestory windows are alternatively round-headed and circular. The monuments include one, with effigy, to Sir Wymond Carye, who died in 1612. There is a brass, with effigies, to John Cremer, died 1610, Anne, his wife, and seven children; and another dating from about 1500.
Snoring, Great. - A village 2 m. S. from Walsingham station. The rectory house, an ornamental brickwork building, erected by Sir Ralph Shelton in the reign of Henry VIII., was restored in 1853 and somewhat enlarged.
Snoring, Little. - A parish 3 m. N.E. from Fakenham. The church, in the Transition-Norman and later styles, contains two Norman windows and doorways. The south door of the nave is a curious mixture of styles. The font is Late Norman.
Somerton, East. - A parish near the coast, 2 m. N. from Hemsby station. The church is in ruins.
Somerton, West. - A parish 1¼ m. N.E. from Martham station. In the church are mural paintings of " The Day and Judgment," "The Flagellation," "The Resurrection," and "The Entry into Jerusalem." They were discovered about thirty years ago, and are believed to date from 1327 to 1377. An interesting Early English painting of "The Virgin and Child," which seems to have formed part of a rood screen, was discovered under the floor of the pulpit about ten years after the mural paintings were brought to light. Hales, the Norfolk giant, who was 7 feet 6 ins. in height, was born here and is buried in the churchyard. Some portions of West Somerton Hall are very ancient.
Southbergh. - A village 3½ m. S.W. from Thuxton station. The church chancel dates from about 1290 and the nave from 1320. There is a monument here to Brampton Gurdon, M. P. for Sudbury, who commanded the Suffolk Horse at the Battle of Naseby.
Southery. - A village on the Ouse, 4 m. S.E. from Hilgay station. The greater part of the parish consists of fen. Originally the place was one of the old fen " islands."
Southrepps. - A village 1 m. N. from Gunton station.
Southwood. - A parish 1 m. N. from Cantley station. The church is in ruins.
Sparham. - A village on the Wensum, 2 m. N.W. from Lenwade station. The church contains an interesting screen, some very old benches, and a pre-Reformation pulpit.
Spixworth. - A village 4 m. N. from Norwich. The church contains a fine marble monument with recumbent effigies erected in 1635 to William and Alicia Peck.
Sporle-with-Palgrave. - A village 2½ m. N.E. from Swaffham station. The church, a fine building in the Early English style, contains a fifteenth century fresco representing the legend of St Katherine of Alexandria.
Sprowston. - A straggling village 2 m. N. from Norwich. The church monuments include one to Sir Thomas Adams, who was Lord Mayor of London in 1645 and died in 1667.
Stalham. - A small market town, with a station, 8 m. S.E. from North Walsham and 15 m. N.E. from Norwich. The church, a fine flint and stone building in the Perpendicular style, contains two good brasses, one dating from the fifteenth century; also a very old font upon which are stone carvings of the Apostles and the Baptism of Christ. Stalham Broad, famous for its fine reeds and water-lilies, is connected with the town by a navigable channel, as also is Sutton Broad. Anglers may hire rowing and sailing boats here, and there is accommodation for visitors at the Maid's Head, Railway, Swan, and Temperance hotels.
Stanfield. - A parish 3½ m. W. from North Elmham station.
Stanford. - A village 6 m. N.E. from Brandon station.
Stanhoe. - a village, with a station, 4 m. S.S.W. from Burnham Market. There are remains here of an ancient cross; also traces of a religious house.
starston. - A small village 1½ m. N. by W. from Harleston. The church, which is partly Norman, has a good roof, and contains a monument, with kneeling effigy, to Bartholomew Cotton, clerk of briefs to the Star Chamber, who died in 1613. It also possesses a silver chalice dated 1567. The Hall, now a farmhouse, is an old building in the Elizabethan style, partly surrounded by a moat.
Stibbard. - A parish 2 m. E. from Ryburgh station.
Stiffkey. - A village near the coast, 3½ m. E. from Wells. The church contains a brass dated 1479. The Hall, erected by Sir Nicholas Bacon, keeper of the Privy Seal to Queen Elizabeth, was once a fine but unfinished castellated mansion. Traces of some ancient entrenchments may be seen on Warborough Hill and Camping Hill.
Stockton. - A village 3 m. N.W. from Beccles.
Stody. - A village 2 m. N.E. from Melton Constable station. The church, a cruciform Perpendicular building with a round tower, contains an interesting font.
Stoke Ferry. - A large village, with a station which is the terminus of the Downham and Stoke Ferry line. The church is Early English. Inn: Crown.
Stoke Holy Cross. - A village 2 m. E. from Swainsthorpe station.
Stokesby-with-Herringby. - A village on the Bure 2½ m. W. from Acle station. The church, a Decorated building, contains some brasses, one a small but good one dated 1488 representing Edward Clere and his wife. Some of the bench ends are well carved. The tower commands a wide view of the Bure valley.
Stow Bardolph. - A village 1 3/4 m. S.E. from Stow Bridge station. Attached to the church is a mortuary chapel built in the sixteenth century, containing several fine monuments to the Hare family, who have been lords of the manor since 1553. Most of the monuments are of marble; but one has a wax effigy of Sarah, youngest daughter of Sir Thomas Hare, Bart. Stow Hall is a red-brick mansion in the Jacobean style, rebuilt by Nicholas Hare, Esq., on the site of an earlier house erected by Sir Nicholas Hare in 1589.
Stow Bedon. - A small parish with a station 1½ m. N.W. from the church, 4 m. S. from Watton. The church contains two lancet windows filled with stained glass from Hildersham Church, Cambridgeshire; also a pine carved oak screen.
<<< Previous page <<<
>>> Next page >>>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 <11> 12 13 14 15 16