Gazetteer page 7
Ketteringham. - A village 1 m. S.W. from Hethersett station. The church contains several interesting monuments and brasses, and a richly carved font. The Hall, the seat of the Boileau family, who are direct descendants from Etienne Boileau, first Grand Provost and Governor of Paris in 1250, is a modernised castellated mansion of the Tudor period. In it is a fine collection of arms and armour (including the sword of Bayard), pictures, and oak furniture.
Kettlestone. - A parish 3½ m. E;N.E. from Fakenham.
Kilverstone. - A parish on the Thet, 2 m. E. from Thetford. The church is an ancient building in the Norman style, with a round embattled tower.
Kimberley. - A village, with a station, 3½ m. N.W. from Wymondham. The Hall, the seat of the Earl of Kimberley, K.G., P.C., contains a portrait of Vandyck, by himself; a rosary given by Catherine, Queen of Henry V., to the wife of Sir John Wodehouse, who fought at Agincourt; and a portion of a gold brocade dress worn by Queen Elizabeth when she stayed at Kimberley during a visit to Norfolk in 1578. She was entertained in the old Wodehouse Tower, some remains of which may be seen near the church. The park is remarkable for its fine oak wood. There is a fifteenth century brass in the church, and several monuments to the Wodehouses.
Kirby Bedon. - A village 2½ m. S.E. from Trowse station.
Kirby Cane. - A village 1½ m. N. from Ellingham station. The church has a Norman doorway.
Kirstead. - A village 6 m. S.E. from Trowse station. The Hall, a Jacobean mansion, dated 1612, is now a farmhouse.
Knapton. - A parish, with a station, 2 3/4 m. N.E. from North Walsham. The church roof is ornamented with some fine carved work, and the font bears a curious Greek inscription which can be read backwards or forwards. There is a fine chancel screen.
Lakenham. A parish forming part of Norwich.
Lammas, with Little Hautbois. - A village on the Bure, 1 m. E. from Buxton Lammas station.
Langford. - A parish 8 m. N.E. from Brandon station.
Langham. - A parish 5 m. W.N.W. from Holt station. The church contains a Norman font, also a marble tablet to Captain Frederick Marryat, R.N., the famous novelist, who resided here, and is buried in the churchyard. He lived in the Manor Cottage, where he wrote most of his works.
Langley. - A scattered village 3 m, S.W. from Buckenham station. Some of the stained glass in the church windows was brought from Rouen Cathedral at the time of the French Revolution. Not far from the river (Yare) are some remains of a Premonstratensian abbey, founded in 1198 by Robert FitzRoger, Sheriff of Norfolk. A stone cross, bearing four statues, which stood near the abbey, is now in Langley Park. Langley Hall, built in 1740, has some fine windows of German stained glass, and contains a bronze statue of Louis XV. by De la Colonge, and a large number of valuable pictures, including'a "Madonna" by Murillo, "Holy Family" by Fra Bartolommeo. "Battle of Sale Bay" by Vandervelde, and '' The Youthful Moralist" by Sir J. Reynolds.
Larling. - A scattered village 1 m. N. from Harling Road station. The church contains an ancient altar-stone and has a Norman doorway.
Lessingham. - A village near the coast, with a station, 3½ m. N.E. from Stalham. The church is disused in consequence of its dilapidated condition.
Letheringsett. - A village 1 m. N. from Holt station. The church has a round Norman tower and a Norman font.
Letton. - A parish 4 m. W. from Thuxton station. The Hall is the seat of Lord Cranworth.
Lexham, East. - A village 3 m. N. from Dunham station.
Lexham, West. - A parish 4 m. N. from Dunham station. The church tower is probably of Saxon date.
Leziate. - A parish 2 m. N. from East Winch station. Only the foundations of the church remain.
Limpenhoe. - A village near the Yare, 1¼ m, N.E. from Cantley station. The church has a fine Norman south doorway.
Lingwood. - A village, with a station, 8 m. E. from Norwich.
Litcham. - A parish 3 m. N.E. by E. from Dunham station. The church, a large Perpendicular building, contains an elaborate oak screen dating from the early part of the fifteenth century. A house here called the " Priory " was formerly a pilgrim's rest.
Loddon. - A small market town 5 m. S. from Buckenham station. The church contains an ancient font, an old painted rood screen, a brass, dated 1615, to Sir James Hobart, and an altar-tomb, with recumbent figure, to Lady Williamson, who died in 1684. There is also a curious painting, dating from 1496, in the south aisle. It represents Sir James Hobart and his wife kneeling, also Loddon Church and St Olave's Bridge. An inscription below states that Sir James built the church and his wife the bridge. The Swan is the principal inn.
Longham. - A village 2 m. N. from Wendling station.
Lopham. - A straggling place of two villages and parishes 4½ m. S.E. from Harling Road station. The church of North Lopham is a large Early English building with a Norman south porch. On its exterior and buttresses are several Latin inscriptions. South Lopham church has a Norman Tower and some fine Norman arches.
Ludham. - A Broadland village on the Bure, 2 m. S.W. from Potter Heigham station. The church chancel is'separated from the nave by a good carved screen, restored in 1861. Ludham Hall was formerly a seat of the abbots of St Benet's Abbey.
Lynford. - A parish 5 m. N.E. from Brandon station. The church has disappeared. A Catholic chapel, erected by Mrs Lyne- Stephens in 1879, and dedicated to Our Lady of Consolation and St Stephen, contains a fine reredos and oak screen. Above the marble stoup at the entrance is a statue group of the Madonna and Child. The Hall, a mansion in the Elizabethan style, is surrounded by 2000 acres of common land.
Lyng. - A village on the Wensum, 3 m. W. from Lenwade station. The church possesses an elaborately embroidered altar-cloth fashioned out of three fifteenth century vestments, viz., three copes of blue, red, and orange velvet respectively.
Lynn, King's Lynn, or Lynn Regis. - A Parliamentary borough and seaport on the east bank of the Great Ouse, 2 m. from the Wash, 48 from Norwich, and 99 from London. The chief places of interest in this ancient town are St Margaret's and St Nicholas' churches, the Red Mount Chapel, Greyfriars Tower, South Gate, Guildhall, Museum, Custom House (built in 1683), and Docks. These places are referred to in Itinerary VIII. A few further particulars concerning them may be added here.
St Margaret's Church, founded by Herbert de Lozinga, Bishop of Norwich 1091-1119, should be visited for the purpose of seeing two of the largest and finest monumental brasses in existence, measuring 10 feet by 5. They are undoubtedly Flemish work. One is that of a former mayor of Lynn, Robert Braunche, and his two wives; the other that of Adam de Walsoken, a merchant. On the Braunche brass are represented the mayor and his two wives, and eight weepers in male and female costumes. At the feet of each lady is a little dog. Underneath is engraved a feasting party, supposed to represent an entertainment given by Braunche to Edward III. The monarch and his nobles are seated at table, minstrels are performing, and on both sides female servants are entering, bearing peacocks for the feast.
One knight is represented straddling across the table in his eagerness to reach a dish. The other brass bears the portraits of Walsoken and his wife, representations of the Apostles and Prophets, and below is a rustic scene representing either the gathering of apples or a vintage harvest. These brasses, which date from the early half of the fourteenth century, are in the south-west tower, A screen bearing the dates 1584 and 1622 has been divided and set up in the chancel aisles, its place being filled by a low carved screen. Fanny Burney, the authoress of " Evelina," was born at Lynn during the time her father, Dr Burney, was organist of this church.
St Nicholas Church, a chapel dependent on St Margaret's, was built in the fourteenth century, on the site of an earlier building. In the vestry is a door bearing a Latin inscription and two figures. The west door and south porch are worthy of special attention.
The Guildhall, an Elizabethan building, fronted with black flints and white stone, contains portraits of William III. and Mary, and Sir Robert Walpole, who was elected M.P. for Lynn in 1761. In the possession of the mayor for the time being will be found a silver-gilt cup and sword, said to have been given to the town by King John before he crossed the Wash and lost all his baggage. Both cup and sword, however, are probably of later date than the reign of King John. The "Red Register" of Lynn, kept at the Guildhall, dates from 1309.
The object of greatest interest to antiquaries is the Red Mount Chapel, situated in the public "Walks " near the station. During the rebellion of 1638 it was used as a powder magazine and later as a pest-house. There is a legend that Edward IV. lodged in it when, after his defeat by Warwick, he fled to Lynn on his way to the continent.
Greyfriars Tower is all that is left of the church of a Franciscan convent.
Visitors who make Lynn their temporary headquarters may make pleasant excursions to
Sandringham. Distant 2 m. from Wolferton station.
Castle Rising. Distant 4 m. from Lynn.
Dersingham. A village adjoining Sandringham.
Hunstanton. Distant 15½ m. from Lynn.
Terrington St Clement's Church, Station 5 m. from Lynn.
(This church and those of Tilney and Walpole may be visited during a day's journey).
An interesting ramble may be enjoyed in the neighbourhood of the docks, and by strolling along the riverside towards the Wash the visitor may gain a good idea of Marshland.
The river Ouse is crossed by a ferry and an iron bridge. The chief hotels are the Globe and Cozen's Temperance.
Lynn, North. - A decayed parish 1 m. N.W. from Lynn. The church has disappeared.
Lynn, South. - A parish forming part of Lynn.
Lynn, West. - A village opposite Lynn on the west side of the Great Ouse. Access to it is obtained by a ferry and bridge. The church, dating from the latter part of the thirteenth century, contains a fine brass dated 1503, to Sir Adam Outlawe, and an ancient octagonal font.
Mannington. - A parish 2 m. N.E. from Corpusty station. The church is in ruins.
Marham. - A village 4 m. S.W. from Narborough station. The church contains a tomb with chalk effigies, dated 1603. Some remains of a Cistercian nunnery, founded in 1249 by Maud, wife of John Fitzalan, fifth Earl of Arundel, may be seen at a farmhouse near the church.
Markshall. - A parish on the Tas, 2½ m. S. from Norwich. The church is in ruins.
Marlingford. - A scattered village 5 m. N. from Hethersett station. The church contains a Norman font and has a Norman doorway.
Marsh am. - A large village 2 m. S. from Ayfsham. The church contains a font on which are carved the seven Sacraments; also an ancient painted screen. On Marsham Heath are several pits similar to those at Aylmerton.
Martham. - A large village with a station 10 m. N.N.W. from Yarmouth. The church is a fine Perpendicular building, very completely restored in 1855 in memory of one of its rectors, whose altar tomb is within. The font has the seven Sacraments carved upon it, and there is some good carving on the south doors. There is a small broad in this parish. Inn: Swan.
Massingham, Great. - A village 1½ m. S. from Little Massingham station.
Massingham, Little. - A village, with a station (Massingham), 10 m. N. from Swaffham. The church is Early English, and contains a monument to Sir Charles Mordaunt, dated 1648. This station is the nearest to Houghton Hall, built by Sir Robert Walpole.
Matlaske. - A parish 4½ m. N.N.E. from Corpusty station,
Mattishall. - A large village 3 m. E. from Yaxham junction.
Mattishall Burgh. - A parish 3½ m. E. by N. from Yaxham junction.
Mautby. - A parish on the Bure, 3 m. W. from Caister station. The church contains a tomb, with a cross-legged effigy in armour, to a member of the Mautby family. There are frequent references to this place in the "Paston Letters," Margaret Paston having inherited the manor from her father, John Mautby.
Melton Constable. - A village, with a junction station, 8 m. E.N,E. from Fakenham. The church has a Norman central tower, and contains a family pew, erected in 1681, for the Astleys, Barons Hastings, whose country seat, "Melton Constable," is, one of the finest in Norfolk. It was built about 1680, is surrounded by terraces, and stands in a large park stocked with deer. In it are some good pictures, one of the finest collections of old china in England, a valuable collection of mediaeval treasures, and another of arms and armour; also a military uniform worn by Sir Jacob Astley, who was Sergeant-Major of the army of Charles I., and some relics of Queen Elizabeth.
Melton, Great. - A parish about 3 m. N.W. from Hethersett station. The Hall is a mansion in the Elizabethan style, built in 1611.
Melton, Little. - A scattered parish 2 m. N. from Hethersett station. The church contains a Norman font, a carved chancel screen, a brass dated 1604, and others more recent.
Mendham. - A village 2 m. S.E. from Harleston station. The greater part of the village is in Suffolk.
Merton. - A parish 2 m. S. from Watton station. The church contains a good Decorated chancel screen, and a fine carved oak font cover reaching nearly to the roof; also two brass shields bearing the de Grey quarterings. The Hall, the seat of Lord Walsingham, was built in 1613, but has been thoroughly restored. It is in the Elizabethan style.
Methwold. - A large village 4 m. S.W. from Stoke Ferry station. The church has a fifteenth century roof with some good and interesting carving, and contains the remains of a fine brass to Sir Adam de Clifton, dated 1367, A tithe barn still standing here is that of the Augustinian priory of Bramwell (later Broomhill).
Melton. - A parish 3½ m. S. from Cromer. There is a fifteenth century brass in the church.
Middleton. - A village, with a station, 4 m. S.S.E. from Lynn. A lofty gate-tower here is all that remains of a hunting castle belonging to the Lords Scales. It was restored and enlarged in 1860. About a mile south of the village are the ruins of Black- borough Priory, founded by Roger Scales in the reign of Henry I.
Mileham. - A parish 4½ m. N.E, from Fransham station. The birthplace of Sir Edward Coke, the famous Lord Chief Justice, who was buried, in 1634, in Tittleshall Church, about 2 m. N.W. from Mileham. The house in which he was born, in 1552, has been pulled down. Here are some remains of a castle, believed to have been built by Alan, son of Flaad, to whom the manor was given by the Conqueror.
<<< Previous page <<<
>>> Next page >>>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 <7> 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16