Gazetteer page 6
Hethersett, - A large village, with a station, 4 m. N.E. from Wymondham. The church contains a fourteenth century altar- tomb, with effigies to Sir R. Berney and his wife. The stump of the Oak of Reformation, under which, in 1549, Robert Kett and his followers swore to do away with the abuses of church and state, stands in this parish, on the Wymondham turnpike.
Hevingham. - A scattered village 3 m. W. from Buxton Lammas station.
Heydon. - A village 3 m. N.W. from Cawston station and 2 m. W. by N. from Bluestone station. The church contains some brasses. Heydon Hall, an Elizabethan mansion, built in 1581, was formerly occupied by the first Lord Lytton. On the stone balustrade which adorns the roof are some curious figures, and above the doors are several shields of arms.
HICKLING. - A Broadland parish 3 m. N.E. from Cat- field station. There are scanty remains here of a priory founded in 1685. Hickling Broad, a shallow sheet of water three miles in circumference, is the largest of the Norfolk broads. Boats may be hired at the Pleasure Boat Inn.
Hilborough. - A village 6 m. S. from Swaffham. There are some ruins here of a pilgrims' chapel.
HlLGAY. - A large village 1 m. S. from Ryston station and 3½ m. E. from Hilgay Fen station. Phineas Fletcher, author of the " Purple Island," was rector here from 1621 until the civil war. The old Hall was formerly a seat of the abbots of Ramsey. There are 6000 acres of fen in this parish.
Hillington. - A village, with a station, 7 m. N.E. from Lynn. The church contains some fine old tombs of the Hovel and Ffoulkes families. The Hall, built in 1627, has been much enlarged. At the entrance gate are remains of four ancient crosses.
Hindolveston (called Hilderston). - A village, with a station, 8 m. E. from Fakenham. In the church is a fine brass, dated 1568.
Hindringham. - A straggling village 4 m. E. from Walsingham station. The old moated Hall is now a farmhouse.
Hingham. - A small market town 3 m. S.W. from Kimberley station. The church is a fine building in the Late Decorated and Perpendicular styles. Its east window is filled with stained glass obtained abroad in i8a3 by Lord Wodehouse of Kimberley. In the chancel is a fine but defaced altar-tomb to Thomas, Lord Morley, Marshall of Ireland, who died in 1435. A covenant remains by which Henry V. agrees that this Lord Morley should have all the prisoners he could take except kings, princes, and king's sons. On the north side of the chancel are remains of what is supposed to have been a sacristy. There are also some interesting mural paintings.
Hockering. - A village 6 m, E. from Dereham.
Hockham, Great. - A village 2 m. N.E. from Wretham station. The church, the tower of which has fallen, stands in the park of Hockham Hall.
Hockwold-cum-Wilton. - A village 1 m. N. from Lakenheath station. The church of St James (Wilton) contains an ancient carved oak screen.
Hoe. - A village 21 m. N. from Dereham.
HOLKHAM. - A coast village, with a station, if m. W. from Wells. The church stands on an artificial mound, supposed to be of Saxon construction, and close to a tumulus. It contains a splendid monument, with a recumbent figure, by Sir J. E. Boehm, to the late Countess of Leicester, and other monuments of the Coke family. On the Holkham marshes is a large Roman camp. Holkham Hall, the seat of the Earls of Leicester, is famous for its priceless collection of art treasures, which includes the following: - Pictures: The original cartoon of " La Belle Jardiniere," Raphael', "Joseph recognised by his Brethren," Raphael; "A Storm," Poussin; " Return from the flight into Egypt," Rubens; "Duke of Aremberg," Vandyck\ "An Evening Landscape," Claude Lorraine; "A Thunder Storm," Poussin; "Duke of Richmond," Vandyck; " Landscape with the Sacrifice of Isaac," Domenichino; landscape, Salvator Rosa; '' Judith giving the head of Holofernes to the Maid," Carlo Maratti; "Rubens' Daughter," Rubens; "Mary Magdalene," Paul Veronese; "Head of Christ," Leonardi da Vinci; " Mary and the Child," Raphael; and other works by Claude, Poussin, Vandyck, Sir Joshua Reynolds, Canaletti, Rosalba, Gainsborough, Lely, Claude Lorraine, and Opie. Statuary: " Neptune," a statue bought at Rome of Carlo Monaldi; " Faun," found in the Campagna; " Meleager "; "Apollo"; "Venus," of which Dr Waagen says: - "Of all similar statues which have come down to us, not excepting even that in the Louvre, formerly at Versailles, this perhaps deserves the preference"; "Diana," purchased in Rome for ^1500 and clandestingly exported to Florence; "Ceres," and others. The Library contains some very valuable and beautiful missals and illuminated manuscripts. There is an obelisk 80 feet high in the park, erected in 1728; also the "Leicester Monument," erected in 1845-8 as a memorial to " Coke of Norfolk," the great agriculturist. The gardens are thrown open to the public once a week (usually ore Tuesdays); but admission to the hall can only be obtained by special order, Accommodation for visitors at the Victoria Hotel.
Holme Hale. - A village near the Wissey, with a station, 5 m. E. byS. from Swaffham. The church, in the Norman style, contains a fine carved oak rood screen.
Holme - next - Runcton. - A village 1½ m. S.E. from Magdalen Road station.
Holme-next-the-Sea. - A coast village 3 m. N.E. from Hunstanton station. The church contains an interesting alabaster monument with kneeling figures to Richard Stone, dated 1607; also a curious brass, with figures, to Henry Netyngdon, one of Henry IV.'s judges, bearing this inscription:
"Henry Netyngdon and his wyffe lye here
Yt madden thys church stepull and queere
Two vestments and bells they made alsoe
Christ Jesu sav therefor ym fro woe
And to bryng ther soules to bliss of hevyn
Syth Pater and Ave with mylde Steven."
"Peddar's Way," supposed to have been a Roman road from Thetford to the coast, terminated here. It may still be traced in places. There is accommodation for visitors at the White Horse Inn and elsewhere in the village.
Holt. - A small market town, with a station, 10 m. W. by S. from Cromer. The church communion plate includes a flagon presented by George II., and a paten given by Sir Robert Walpole. This town was the birthplace, in 1507, of Sir Thomas Gresham, founder of the Royal Exchange. His brother founded the Grammar School, since re-built, outside which Thomas Cooper, its master, was hanged for adherence to the cause of Charles I. The principal inns are the Feathers, White Lion, and Railway Hotel.
Holverston. - A village 5 m. S.E. by E. from Norwich.
Honing. - A Broadland village on the Ant, with a station. The "Long Lane" leading to the church is a very charming road overshadowed by trees.
Honingham. - A village 5 m. S. from Attlebridge station. The church contains a black and white marble monument, with medallion portrait in armour, to Sir Thomas Richardson, Master of Cramond, who died in 1642. The Hall, a fine Elizabethan mansion built by Chief Justice Richardson, contains, among other art treasures, the "Infant Family of Charles I" (a duplicate of that at Windsor), and the " Princes Rupert and Maurice" by Vandyck.
HORNING. - A Broadland village on the Bure, 3½ m. E. from Wroxham. The ruins of St Benet's Abbey, founded by King Canute, are in the parish. This is inn angling resort, and boats may be hired at the New and Ferry Inns, where there is accommodation for visitors.
Horningtoft. - A scattered village 3 m. N.W. from North Elmham station.
Horsey. - A coast village 4 m. N. from Martham station. The church, an ancient Gothic building, contains a thirteenth century rood screen. This place has been the scene of several disastrous inroads of the sea.
Horsford. - A scattered village 2 m. E. from Drayton station.
Horsham St Faith's. - A parish 3½ m. E. from Drayton station. The church contains a mediasval pulpit with painted panels; also an ancient font and screen.
Horstead - cum - Stanninghall. - United parishes. Horstead village is on the Bure, ½ m. from Coltishall station. Its church has a good open timber roof. Stanninghall church has been in ruins since the reign of Elizabeth. Haggate Hall, an interesting Elizabethan house, is about a mile from Horstead.
Houghton-in-the-Dale. - A village 1 m. S. from Walsingham station. The church, re-built in 1879, has an old illuminated rood screen. On the Walsingham Road is an old wayside chapel (recently restored) called the "Shoe House," at which pilgrims to Walsingham cast off their shoes.
Houghton-on-the-Hill. - A parish of one farm 2 m. S.W. from Holme Hale station. Some of the church windows are believed to date from about 1020.
HOUGHTON, NEW, or HOUGHTON-IN-THE-BRAKE. - A village 3 m. N. from Massingham station. The church tower was built by Sir Robert Walpole, the Prime Minister, who was buried in the church. He also built Houghton Hall, which is, perhaps, the finest mansion in Norfolk. This historic hall is referred to at length in Itinerary IX. The magnificent collection of paintings it contained at the death of Sir Robert was sold by George, third Earl of Orford, to Catherine of Russia for ^40,550. Writing of this sale, Horace Walpole said: "When he sold the collection of pictures at Houghton, he declared at St James's that he was forced to it, to pay the fortunes of his uncle, which amounted to but £10,000; and he sold the pictures for £40,000, grievously to our discontent, and without any application from us for our money, which he now retains, trusting that we will not press him, lest he should disinherit us, were we to outlive him. But we are not so silly as to have any such expectations at our ages; nor, as he has sold the pictures, which we wished to have preserved in the family, do we care what he does with the estate. Would you believe - yes, for he is a madman - that he is refurnishing Houghton; ay, and with pictures too, and by Cipriani. That flimsy scene painter is to replace Guido, Claude Lorraine, Rubens, Vandyck, &c." At the winter exhibition at the Royal Academy, 1899-1900, patrons had an opportunity of seeing one of the finest pictures from the famous Houghton collection. This was Vandyck's " Lord Philip Warton," described as a work of " supreme artistic beauty enhancing physical attractiveness." It was lent by the Tsar of Russia, At the present time the Hall contains a whole-length portrait of George I. by Kneller, a fine bronze cast of the Laocoon by Girarchon, some sculpture by Rysbrach, several portraits of the Walpole family, and some good tapestry.
Hoveton St John. - A Broadland village in which is Wroxham station and Hoveton Little Broad (60 acres).
Hoveton St Peter. - A scattered village 1½ m. N. from Wroxham station.
Howe. - A village 5 m. E. from Swainsthorpe station.
Hunstanton. - A popular and rising seaside resort on the N.W. point of the county, 15½ m. from Lynn, and 112 from London. It occupies an elevated position on Hunstanton Cliff, which rises to a height of about 60 feet above the beach, and is also known as St Edmund's Point, there being a tradition that Edmund the Martyr landed here when he crossed over from Germany. A splendid beach affords safe bathing, and a delightful promenade for miles along the coast. The pier is close to the esplanade, adjoining which is a recreation ground with good tennis courts. A modern church has accommodation for about 500 persons, and there are also Nonconformist chapels. On the cliff, near the lighthouse, is a fragment of St Edmund's Chapel, an old religious house, the history of which is unknown. The local golf club has links on the Old Hunstanton sandhills; there is also a cricket club.
Hunstanton Cliff has six strata clearly defined. Commencing from the top, they are met with in the following order: - Lower Chalky Chalk Marl, White Chalky Red Chalk, Greens and or Glauconite, Dark Brown Pudding Stone or Sandy Breccia. Below the cliff strata may be seen the Kimmeridge Clay. The Red Chalk occurs nowhere else in Norfolk. The neighbourhood provides a good field for botanists, entomologists, and con-chologists; and ornithologists will be much interested in observing the numerous sea birds which frequent the shore.
The chief hotels are the Sandringham (G.E.R.), Wales's Commercial, the Golden Lion, and the Temperance. There are also private hotels and abundant boarding-house accommodation and apartments.
Hunstanton, Old. - A coast village about a mile from Hunstanton. The hall, built in the fifteenth century, stands in a manor of which the L'Estranges have been lords ever since the Conquest. There is accommodation for visitors at the L'Estrange Arms.
Hunworth. - A parish 2 m. S.S.W. from Holt station.
Ickborough. - A parish 6 m. N.E. from Brandon station. The church contains a finely carved pulpit.
Illington. - A village 1½ m. E. from Wretham station.
Ingham. - A village m. E. by N. from Stalham station.
Ingoldisthorpe. - A village 1 m. E. from Snettisham station. The church contains a Perpendicular oak screen, the font is Norman, and the corbels of the nave roof represent the patriarchs and prophets.
Ingworth. - A village 2 m. N. from Aylsham.
Intwood. - A village 3 m. E. from Hethersett station.
Irmingland. - A parish on the Bure, 1 m. E. from Corpusty station.
Irstead. - A straggling village on the banks of Barton Broad, 3 m. N.W. from Wroxham station. In the church chancel is a memorial window to William of Wykeham, founder of New College, Oxford, and bishop of Winchester, who was rector here in 1347.
Islington. - A village 2 m. S. from Clenchwarton station. This is the place referred to in the old ballad, " The Bailiff's Daughter of Islington."
Itteringham. - A village 4 m. N.W. from Aylsham.
Kelling. - A parish 3 m. N. from Holt station.
Kempston. - A parish 2 m. N. from Fransham station.
KenninghAll. - A large village 3 m. S.E. from Eccles Road station, and connected by a mile-long avenue of trees with Quiden- ham. It is believed to have been a seat of the East Anglian kings, and some ancient mounds are pointed out as marking the site of their royal residence. Here, too, are remains of the fosse of a castle formerly occupied by the Mowbrays and Howards. Kenninghall Palace, built in the reign of Henry VIII., sheltered Queen Mary at the beginning of her reign. It remained the chief seat of the Howards, Dukes of Norfolk, until about the beginning of the seventeenth century, when it was pulled down.
Keswick. - A parish 3 m. S.S.W. from Norwich. All that remains of the church is a portion of a round tower.
<<< Previous page <<<
>>> Next page >>>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 <6> 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16